20 June 2016, the International Day to Support Political Prisoners in Iran
All political prisoners must be freed immediately and unconditionally
STOP flogging, torture, prison and executions in Iran
- 17 Agh Dareh Gold Mine workers were subjected to 30-100 lashes in May 2016
- Execution sentences are carried out in prisons in Iran on a regular basis
- Prisoners are deprived of medication and medical attention
- Families of political prisoners are harassed, arrested and pressurised on a daily basis
- Persecution of labour activists, student’s activists, children rights and women rights activists, religious minorities, LGBT and families of political prisoners has been on the rise.
- Tens of political prisoners are on hunger strike in protest the condition of prisons and their sentences
- The list continues …
These are the reality of everyday life in Iran but you don’t hear about them in the media especially after the nuclear agreement was signed with the Islamic regime. Attacks on political prisoners have worsened: long prison sentences; re-sentencing prisoners who have already fully served their sentences; denying prisoner their rights to the lawyers; depriving prisoners from medical attention and increased raids on prisoners. Furthermore, labour activist have been sentenced to flogging for protesting for their rights.
Currently, hundreds of men, women and juveniles are in prison in Iran. Thousands of the families of political prisoners wake up every day wondering whether their loved ones would live another day. They have no information about the whereabouts of their children. The Islamic regime even denies parents of executed political prisoner information about the location of their graves.
The world needs to know and be alarmed about the crimes committed by the Islamic regime against the political prisoners in Iran during the last 37 years.
Despite all of these atrocities by the regime, many political prisoners risk their lives to openly condemn their inhuman treatment by the Islamic regime and seek international support. We need to stand together to be the voice of political prisoners in Iran.
We urge the international community and organisations not to close their eyes to these serious violations of human rights by the Islamic regime. We call on them to take serious, meaningful and decisive action to pressure the regime in Iran to comply with the internationally recognised human rights laws and to immediately and unconditionally stop torture and execution of political prisoners in Iran.
Can my single voice really make a difference?
Yes it can. Over and over, history has shown us that when we stand together, we can bring about change.
We stand stronger when we are together.
Join us on 20 June 2016, The International Day in Support of Political Prisoners and be a voice of political prisoners in Iran.
- As part of the action day in support of political prisoners in Iran, you can send a letter ( or the following sample letter) to: EU, European Parliament, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Ahmed Shaheed- UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Situation in Iran.
- Issue a statement/message of solidarity on behalf of your organisations/yourself in support of political prisoners in Iran and demand their immediate and unconditional release. The email addresses for the authorities of Islamic regime in Iran is provided. You can also send your letter to the embassy of Islamic regime, in your country.
- Hold/attend demonstration in front of the Iranian embassy or city centres in your counties.
- Send us your message of solidarity: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Events are held all around the world. Date & time & place: see our event page
Campaign to Free Political Prisoners in Iran (CFPPI)
For more information please contact:Shiva Mahbobi, Tel: +44 (0) 7572356661 Email: email@example.com
Sample letter & addresses
On 20th June 2016, the International Day to Support Political Prisoners in Iran, I/We express our solidarity with all political prisoners and their families in Iran.
I/We demand that international human rights organisations pressure the Islamic regime systematically and effectively, to comply with the following demands:
- To immediately and unconditionally halt all executions in Iran
- To stop all forms of torture of political prisoners
- To end harassment and persecution of families of political prisoners
- To provide political prisoners with unconditional medical care and medications
- To immediately and unconditionally release all political prisoners
- To allowed unrestricted access of independent international human rights organisations for prison inspection.
PLEASE SEND protest letters to:
EU High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy : Catherine Ashton firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @eu_eeas
Martin Shulz, The President of the European Parliament
email@example.com Twitter: @EP_President
Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Situation in Iran
ContactUs@shaheedoniran.org Twitter: @shaheedsr
Leader of the Islamic regime in Iran, Ayatollah Sayed ‘Ali Khamenei
Twitter: @khamenei_ir (English) or @Khamenei_fa (Persian)
President, Hassan Rouhani,
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @HassanRouhani (English) and